Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Yummy!

Jon has had his tracheostomy for a week now, and I think the verdict is in. It is AWESOME!! He can breathe with ease, which is giving him some energy again. He can speak with better air flow than before, so he sounds even better. And perhaps most importantly... HE CAN EAT WHATEVER HE WANTS! Woohoo!!!! Bring on the steak! (OK, so perhaps the breathing is most important. Whatever.) 

Jon went down to X-ray this afternoon so they could make sure he was swallowing safely. He had to eat different consistencies of food with barium (which was completely disgusting), so it is a really good thing he can eat what he wants now. If he had to do that and the reward was never eating again. Not cool. I got to administer the torture by feeding him, hence the awesome 101 Dalmatians lead vest I'm wearing.

Jon did have a very minor respiratory event last night, but it will likely mean staying in the ICU for an extra day. Hopefully he'll be home on Thursday.

In X-ray, getting ready for the barium swallow test.

11 comments:

  1. That is massive news !!! Wonderful. Feed that boy whatever he wants !!! So glad you're more comfortable Jon, what a relief. We love you both xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in time for Halloween Candy... Yummy Yummy for my TUMMY! I am thinking Jon is enjoying the excuse to be bare chested! At least, I think that is what the big smiles are telling me! :) Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear that all went well and he doesn't have to leave his favorite foods behind. Love seeing the smiles and updates. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great news! Rock on, you two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You both continue to be in my prayers. You both are heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful news! When will Jon's list of most favorite foods (besides chocolate) be posted?! It will be fun to bring you two some deliciousness after such a long hospital stay!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. soooo, was the led vest like a flak jacket... which was it protecting you from as you administer baby food gruel?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful news, I'm kind of out of the loop on Ward news but I love your family and so glad I can help teach the family. You are all very special people. God's blessings to all. C Norling

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very glad to read your blog.Thank you for sharing this article.It is great! I will keep your article in my idea. Very happy reading.

    Equinox Oxygen Concentrator

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barium is disgusting! I first had barium in 1982 or so (long story) and it was really chalky. It took several tries to get enough in me to do an upper gi. The last time I drank barium (I have to check my records to be sure- yes, i'm the geek who collects her medical records & images) , it tasted gross- like Kemp's Yogurt n orange juice with chalk.

    ReplyDelete