Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Something's Gotta Give

Bitsy turned 11!

My third child, and oldest daughter turned 11 last week. She is amazing. I'll talk more about how she came into this world in another post, but this girl is a miracle child. Literally. She is the kindest, most energetic, curious, sharp, wonderful daughter. Such a blessing.

With Bitsy's 11th birthday, I have officially celebrated 52 birthdays with my children. WOAH, that makes me seem old! In all those birthdays, this was only the second time that I have purchased a cake. I know it seems a small thing, but I've always baked a cake myself. I think there is something nurturing about doing these little things for our kids.

Life has changed. Jon quit working this spring and I started. I'm blessed with a job that I love, but it is still busy. Between work, activities and Jon needing some extra help at home, something's gotta give.

Every six months there is a General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. In the April conference, Linda Reeves reminded me of what really matters, "It is OK if the house is a mess and the children are still in their pajamas and some responsibilities are left undone. The only things that really need to be accomplished in the home are daily scripture study and prayer and weekly family home evening."

That's it. It's ok if my kids get a store bought birthday cake. We pray together every day. We read scriptures together. We spend time together. That's all that matters. Homemade birthday cakes (and a clean house) may be a thing of the past for now, because something's gotta give. And I'm ok with that.

At least I added the flowers and her name!




4 comments:

  1. Your children's lives are filled with love and laughter. What more could they want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not your challenges but I need to remind myself of that a lot. Thanks for the reminder. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judging by the BIG smile on Bitsy's face, she is okay with this cake too! And now that you have posted this, you will probably have several RS sisters show up at your door with homemade cakes. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nailed it! Last time I checked, store bought and homemade cakes come out the same. Just saying'!

    ReplyDelete